“The pupil dilates in darkness and in the end finds light, just as the soul dilates in misfortune and in the end finds God.”
More powerful words from Victor Hugo
- Winter is on my head, but eternal spring is in my heart.
- What a grand thing, to be loved! What a grander thing still, to love!
- The pupil dilates in darkness and in the end finds light, just as the soul dilates in misfortune and in the end finds God.
- There are no trifles in the human story, no trifling leaves on the tree.
- Adversity makes men, and prosperity makes monsters.
- A faith is a necessity to a man. Woe to him who believes in nothing.
- Love is the only future God offers.
- Be a bird perched on a frail branch that she feels bending beneath her, still she sings away all the same, knowing she has wings.
- Clearly he had his own strange way of judging things. I suspect he acquired it from the gospels.
- Great blunders are often made, like large ropes, of a multitude of fibers.
The Writing Sisters